It’s a well-known fact that the sun’s UV rays cause premature aging and cancer. But while some anti-aging products and procedures may get your skin out of the frying pan, neglecting SPF will light all your efforts on fire. That’s why Dermatologist Ava Shamban, MD, includes a full-sized SPF product in every The Box by Dr Ava subscription.
“Exposure to the sun is directly responsible for many of the skin changes that we associate with aging,” explains Dr Ava. “Sunscreen should be an essential part of your daily routine to avoid looking like a handbag when you get older.”
According to Dr Ava, there are three key factors to consider when choosing an SPF: location, activity, and skin type.
Think about your lifestyle and if you will need a waterproof product or one that goes on dry so that makeup application is easier. Don’t forget to experiment with various formulations as sunscreens are available as powders, lotions, gels, sprays, and in a waxy base, and we all know you are more likely to consistently wear a solution you actually enjoy putting on your body.
Once you know what product is right for you, don’t forget these sun safety tips when applying:
- Use a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 when outdoors, which will protect against 97% of UVB rays
- Use enough sunscreen to fill a shot glass when covering your entire body
- Cover your ears, the top of your feet, and other easy-to-forget patches of skin
- Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours or immediately after swimming or sweating
- Wear a hat, especially if you have thinning hair, as 10% of melanomas occur on the scalp
The Box by Dr Ava is the first dermatologist-curated skincare subscription box that introduces consumers to dermatologist-recommended skincare and wellness products, while also providing the added bonus of real-time Tele-aesthetic consultations with Dr. Ava Shamban herself.
For press inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org